Welcome to the Main Talk Page of the OGame Wiki. This is the place to ask any questions you have about the wiki. Any discussions or anything of community interest is also appropriate here.
- 1 Wikipedia Article
- 2 Things to do/Not to Do
- 3 Let Main Page speak for itself
- 4 Categories
- 5 a-z being "squashed"?
- 6 Menu Naming Convention ???
- 7 wikipedia
- 8 Research / Technologies category name
- 9 Revert
- 10 Copyright Infringment
- 11 Feedback
- 12 Level tables
- 13 Stubs, stubs, everywhere.
- 14 Templates
- 15 Gaming wiki chat this Sunday!
- 16 Update Info now at .78
- 17 Game at .78a - I see on the main page it only has a few universes that are running on .78a ?
- 18 Help me in German OWiki
- 19 Monaco skin?
- 20 I'd Like To Help Out
- 21 new main page layout
- 22 Ogame's news Univers
- 23 Is here Russian language for Owikia?
- 24 Clone page
- 25 Proposals: Main Page Refinements
- 26 Proposed Menu Structure
Wikipedia Article[edit source]
Some people over on Wikipedia are of the opinion that the Ogame article should be deleted for not being notable. Please go over there if you are Wikipedia members and have your say. Also, provide any sort of notability proofs acc. to the Wikipedia guidelines.
The Ogame article on Wikipedia contains biased, unverifiable, incorrect and uncredited information, and also specifically names alliances and contains many personal opinions. If you are a Wikipedia member, please edit some of this information, thanks.
Things to do/Not to Do[edit source]
- Do Add content, specifically to Special:Wantedpages
- Don't copy+ paste directly from OGame, use your own words.
- Do reduce Special:Deadendpages
- Don't overlink (ie link first term in article and only that one ie if fleet is mentioned twice link the first one and not the second one)
- Don't add articles on people/alliances.
Remember at the end of an article, Internal links go under 'See also' and External links go under 'External links'.
Proposed Standards[edit source]
I have a few suggestions on "do/don't". If the admin could review them please. :)
- Do: sign your discussion posts with your signature --> http://ogame.wikicities.com/skins/common/images/button_sig.png
- Do: Read "Established Standards" before editing articles (I'll help write these down if needed)
Also, I suggest to make the pages editable only by logged-in users. If people mess up repeatedly, ít's hard to handle them by (changing...) IPs. --Lenitas of SoLD 12:39, 26 February 2006 (UTC)
- A bunch of policies would be nice. But I don't agree on disallowing "anonymous" editing (accounts are actually more anonymous). Some of the best little things we had were done by people not logged in. It's also actually easier to track IPs than accounts because even admins can't see IPs of logged in users. -- Jeffoh (talk) 17:19, 27 February 2006 (UTC)
Let Main Page speak for itself[edit source]
I think a little more extensive Main Page would come in handy as a starting point. Linking the Glossary is a good start, but there could also be information on categories and such for wiki-experienced people, and "how to get started" for the wiki-unexperienced. I volunteer creating one if this is wanted. --Lenitas of SoLD 12:56, 26 February 2006 (UTC)
- Would be nice but we'd have to write some help or shamelessly steal it from Wikipedia. Categories are a pretty big problem, I don't think you can categorize most of the pages about things. -- Jeffoh (talk) 17:19, 27 February 2006 (UTC)
I think many pages are pretty easy to categorize actually. Like "Buildings", "Ships", "Defence", "Technologies". Other, optional, categories (this is done in other games' wikis) would be "basics", "game mechanics", "player interface" ...--Lenitas of SoLD 11:59, 28 February 2006 (UTC)
- I agree that some sort of categories (table of contents as such) are necessary, the main page does little more than point to a dictionary of terms. I Propose some sort of table like this:
- That should cover most items currently listed alphabetically in the glossary. While some categories obviously have not been created yet, some need some major revision to be worthy of being linked to on the main page. I believe that currently only ships, buildings and Rules are in an acceptable state, with sufficient links to other varied information. Technology needs a better layout. Fleet and Fleet activity (and maybe even the activities themselves) should be merged, consolidate information and prevent unnecessary stubs. Interface should have information on how to use Ogame (may not be necessary). Alliance should have more information on alliance maneuvers, planning, bennefits, and possibly basic player interaction. Game Concepts should have things like moonchance, ninja, farm, and fleetsave. --Spacemanspif 03:35, 22 March 2006 (UTC)
a-z being "squashed"?[edit source]
Ahh, "Condensed" was the word I was after. The Glossary area is very long at the moment (the menu on the page) - would it be better for the links to be like: A-G, H-L, M-S, T-Z because this is only section 1. So like A is 1.1, B is 1.2 etc... we'll need sections 2, 3 4 etc for stuff like tactics, forums and so on.
- Similar, sorta . . .I think there is a lot of room for consolidation of topics . . ie al the tanks have their own page, but that could all be combined into one. same with mines, etc. As it is now, a complete glossary is fine I think. At least for now in these early stages. Lets get content done first, then worry about formating.
--Master Bob 06:33, 25 Oct 2005 (UTC)
- Oh I agree, content first, then formatting, just an idea ;) - WTDB
Menu Naming Convention ???[edit source]
Before the menu page gets done do we want a uniform naming convention? There is a resources page/screen been refered to in Calculate. I called the Galaxy screen - Galaxy view, I think having Overview view would be a bit silly. So how does screen sound, for the navigation buttons on the menu... Overview screen, Galaxy screen, buildings screen? User:Averon
- I think we should follow wikipedia:Wikipedia:Naming conventions and wikipedia:Wikipedia:Manual of Style for style questions like these. "Overview screen" and a redirect from Overview -> Overview screen sounds right to me. Note that there already are pages for some screens. -- Jeffoh (talk) 17:44, 5 Nov 2005 (UTC)
I have a question, is some of the content from the Wikipedia:OGame entry going to be copied to this one? Or is this intended more of a glossary with the concepts staying in the Wikipedia entry? V. Jack 18:07, 4 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- The Wikipedia entry is just a general overview, this is more in-depth. You can copy content if you want. -- Jeffoh (talk) 18:33, 4 Nov 2005 (UTC)
Research / Technologies category name[edit source]
I was going to make a category for all research to be put in but I'm not sure if it should be named Technologies or Research. Renaming categories seems to be a bit hard so I'd rather get this right first. Any opinions? -- Jeffoh (talk) 01:19, 6 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- I would say Technology, just because its all XXX Technology . . . except for the Engines, which may provide some sort of conflict. --Master Bob 02:32, 6 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- I would agree with Technology. The engines are in practice the same as any other tech, just named different. I cant see any major conflicts arising from that.Averon
If any of these other sections are not going to be completed or even started in the forseable future then the old style should be reverted (just show the glosery)126.96.36.199 13:56, 30 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- Having the links there might actually make people make them. Weyoun is still making the quick start guide AFAIK.--Jeffoh (talk) 15:29, 30 Nov 2005 (UTC)
- i agree. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) 14:34, 6 February 2006. Please sign your posts with
Copyright Infringment[edit source]
Just to clarify my own mind, as I dissapearred for a month, but copying and pasting from the OGame description is STILL copyright infringement, yes? Also should we try to get GameForge's permission/whatever is needed for us to legally publish the Game Descriptions? --Master Bob 04:23, 25 March 2006 (UTC)
>>> Yeah it is, but I'm re-writing the descriptions anyway ;) - WTDB
On behalf of the UCSC Alliance, I'd like to thank you for such an amazing website, it features absolutely everything you'd need to know. So well done, we'll help you keep it up! --UCSC 14:16, 16 July 2006 (UTC)
Level tables[edit source]
AS OF 6/23/2010 THE SUBJECT OF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED AND REMAINS HERE FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES
THE CODE PROVIDED WAS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND WAS USED IN SAID IMPLEMENTATION. THANK YOU TO THE BELOW CONTRIBUTORS Ie: level mine x costs y to make . . etc, tabulated. Do people believe this is necessary? In any shape or form? I feel that it is unnecessary as it is relatively easy from a calculator to do just that, instead we can just link to the Ogame_tools article--Master Bob 04:15, 28 September 2006 (UTC)
Yes, we could link to the tools page. But it's a lot easier to have these tables. Honestly, I've used these tables a lot for looking stuff up like "would it pay be possible to bring this mine x to level y while my solar plant remains at level z?" or "how much consumes ship x compared to the other ships?". If people look at the Fusion Reactor article, they immediately see "wow, it doesn't produce that much at level 10, but look how much it produces with energy research level 10!" These tables are a part of the goal of this wiki. Please leave them. Nikh-Mur 17:27, 21 September 2008 (UTC)
I agree they're most practical, and its not like the space is direly needed :) Keep them there! 184.108.40.206 00:46, June 23, 2010 (UTC)Fubar
IF we wanted to do a Level Table like the one in OGame's "Technologies" page, I have already coded one in HTML. If someone could Wikify this (if it isn't already, I can't tell...), it would be greatly appreciated. Table:
Code has been snipped to avoid cluttering page but can be viewed in page history
DarkFire 05:48, 10 December 2006 (UTC) &bsp;
Stubs, stubs, everywhere.[edit source]
Given the number of short articles regarding things like planets, galaxy, solar system. and many other very brief (under 10 lines) articles. I propose we condense some of these into some larger blanket articles, with perhaps a section on each. e.g. combining universe, galaxy, solar system, planet, coordinates, into one sectioned article (coordinate system maybe?). Post here if you have any objections, I will try and start doing this over the next couple of days. Feel free to help :) Spacemanspif 03:10, 17 November 2006 (UTC)
- Work on it as a subpage in your user:profile, then once its done I can make the necessary changes. Does it really matter? In the end? I understand less pages is betetr [less server space], but the point of the wiki is so players can better play OGame. If all that is needed is a couple of lines so be it. -Master Bob 02:56, 17 January 2007 (UTC)
Hi to all, I`m the founder of the Chinese OGame Wiki. And I`m here looking for help about the Interlanguege link, hope we could be connected soon. By the way, you seem need some templates and maybe I could help.--Erik 01:11, 22 June 2007 (UTC)
Gaming wiki chat this Sunday![edit source]
On Sunday October 14th there is going to be an IRC chat for gaming wikis at the #wikia-gaming channel. Contributors, admins, and foudners of all/all gaming-related wiki on Wikia are invited to discuss common issues that we might have, sharing our experiences, and helping each other out. The time of the chat will be:
Please help to spread the word, and hope to see you there!
-User:PanSola 16:34, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
Update Info now at .78[edit source]
game updates have not been posted on main page. Need updates. 220.127.116.11 13:02, 27 November 2007 (UTC)
Game at .78a - I see on the main page it only has a few universes that are running on .78a ?[edit source]
Are not all universes running on .78a now?
Daworm 02:36, 27 December 2007 (UTC)
Help me in German OWiki[edit source]
Somebody is deleting all Articles in the German OWiki, but there's no Admin online who could stop him! plz help!!!--18.104.22.168 16:22, 24 February 2008 (UTC)
- I'm not sure admins on the wiki are admins on that one; in fact I'm pretty sure they're not. If you have no active admins, it's best to leave a message with Wikia, I think... JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot 18:24, 24 February 2008 (UTC)
Monaco skin?[edit source]
Hi. I wanted to ask if you have seen Wikia's new skin, Monaco. This is the "version 2 Quartz" that's been talked about in the past. We think it's a big improvement, with a wider article area, a very customisable sidebar, and a great look.
You can even make your own sidebar with links you find useful, as well as add your own widgets. All future features will be compatible with this skin (they may not be with older skins, including the Quartz you are using at the moment). We've got some ideas of what else we want to develop and I think there is cool stuff to come!
- I've talked with JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot on my talk page... and, as he thought, no one has chimed in here... so I'm going to switch to a basic Monaco, and see what you think of it! Maybe we can work on adjusting it to suit this wiki. Remember, this only affects the default. You can still change your own skin via you preferences, but I hope you will like the look! -- sannse (talk) 10:02, 14 May 2008 (UTC)
I'd Like To Help Out[edit source]
I'm a new player on Universe 38 and have found this place to have excellent potential. However, things seem a bit... messy. I'd love to chip in and help standardize and organize and all the other -ize's as well. However, I feel like rather than just go in and make broad sweeping changes, I need to coordinate with someone (for doing things like cleaning up a template, or whatever). Who should I coordinate this kind of thing with? UvulaBob 01:53, 30 May 2008 (UTC)UvulaBob
- The only other person who is active on this wiki is me, and that's for a given value of "active" - I watch the recent changes and revert vandalism, but I don't contribute. As long as you're prepared to follow through with your changes and not leave them half-finished, just go for it. JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot 06:45, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
Well, OK then. I'll roll up my sleeves. UvulaBob 16:39, 30 May 2008 (UTC)UvulaBob
Also, who do I talk to about deleting articles? UvulaBob 22:19, 30 May 2008 (UTC)
- Normally you'd tag them for deletion and an administrator would do it for you. However, this wiki has no active admins. I'll ask a staff member... JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot 06:45, 31 May 2008 (UTC)
new main page layout[edit source]
Hi all (or both)
I've been working on a new main page layout today. Hopefully you have read about the skin and ad changes at Wikia's New Style on Central Wikia. If not, I hope you'll have a look.
One of the changes is a block of two ads on each main page. It's possible that they won't always show up, but to ensure your main page continues to work properly when they do, the main page column formatting code needs to use new column tags
I've switched the page over, if you encounter any problems with the new tags, please let me know.
On admins for this wiki - Vimescarrot, I know you are checking in rather than contributing content, but maybe admin rights here would help?
- Unfortunately, UvulaBob hasn't made an edit in nearly a month, meaning I'm the only person around - that I know of. I'll happily become an admin, if you like. I'll essentially just be deleting spam articles and greeting anyone who looks like they might be staying around. JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot 16:23, 4 July 2008 (UTC)
It's been a while, but I'm still here. I kind of got busy with work and other stuff, but I might as well finish what I started and properly categorize everything. UvulaBob 04:56, 5 July 2008 (UTC)
- Good to see you are still here UvulaBob :) Vimescarrot, I've made you admin/bureaucrat, so you can add new admins as needed. Thanks for looking out for the place! -- sannse (talk) 12:25, 8 July 2008 (UTC)
- No problem :) Thanks, I'll try not to go on a power-abuse rampage XD JalYt-Xil-Vimescarrot 07:19, 9 July 2008 (UTC)
Ogame's news Univers[edit source]
I have a question on when is going to be created the next ogame universe. Thanks for your answers.
- We are not the game makers, we only write about what is already in the game. Sorry. 21:50, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
The Nodiatis flash ads are unreasonably laggy and somewhat innapropriate. 22.214.171.124 17:44, March 27, 2010 (UTC)
to the guy above me
use adblock plus on firefox
Is here Russian language for Owikia?[edit source]
Couldn't find not just russian articles here, but Russian in Other Languages. Is it possible to add Russian? I would like to translate some articles and I suppose that other people from former USSR countries wish to do the same.
Russian Ogame wikia already exists ^.^
"Русская OGame Wiki" Homepage
well, actually its one article wiki (main page) for now since June, but exists and its ready to grow.
Have fun making all articles lol =P
Tiuqu 22:00, September 3, 2010 (UTC)
This is better of course. But why Russian Wiki isn't linked with this one? All links from tutorial lead here and if you wouldn't tell me, I'll not find russian one.GreatWolf 08:42, September 5, 2010 (UTC)
Added link "Русский (Russian)" to the table on main page, hope it's right.
Also there is some list on the end of main page edition, but when I added it there it just didn't work, so I guess you should ask staff to add to the main list or something like that.
And remember to sign your comments by typing ~~~~ or clicking http://ogame.wikicities.com/skins/common/images/button_sig.png.
Tiuqu 01:22, September 5, 2010 (UTC)
I've started to translate and fill it with articles. This work is huge. )) Hope to find some help, but considering it haven't been filled since June, it's unlikely. GreatWolf 08:40, September 5, 2010 (UTC)
Time Formula Problems
On the page dedicated to Buildings there is a formula for the construction time.
I don't know for the old style version of OGame, but for the restyled version is wrong.
There is non need to subtract 0.025 and the time given by the formula is almost right, it gives only 1 second more then the real time needed by what I tested, so after a bit of tryings I found out that there is the need to subtract 0.00007 instead of 0.025.
Even though, the modified formula is still wrong for some buildings:
And for all the new buildings to hide resources.
Sadly till now I couldn't find any way to get the formula to work with them
I think they must have a totally different formula from the other buildings.
In any case, if I find a way to solve the problem I will post it.
Clone page[edit source]
Proposals: Main Page Refinements[edit source]
The main page could use some redesign and a fresh coat of paint. I propose the following:
The top navigation header is not friendly. It should be the key place all new readers can find what they need. I propose we:
Replace the "Top Content" menu with an "OGame" menu. Most of what is in Top Content doesn't work anyway, except for a few of the submenus. We can keep the Most Visited but give it a better formatted name. Otherwise add new submenus for (1) Gameplay, (2) Getting Started, (3) Community, and (4) Strategy. And manually picking the pages to go in them based on the most important. I believe other menu options should be revised too but that is a first key.Superseded by new proposal below Put the logo up in the top blue bar to the left of the navigation and title, similar to other Fandom wikisUpdate: I withdraw this proposal unless someone with more design sense than me and who wants to refine the logo comes along. I tried the one we have but it looks badly there, so a new one or a change is needed. WeakSignal (talk) 13:09, 24 September 2020 (UTC)
Proposal B: Change the theme[edit source]
I think we need to make the front page especially look more attractive and modern. And add a background image as well.
Proposed Menu Structure[edit source]
Here is what I am thinking would help improve navigation, based on research on other wikis:
OGame (replaces "Top Content)
- Elements (submenu with links to Resources, Facilities, Ships, Technologies, etc)
- Gameplay (submenu with links to Researching, Building, Expeditions, Attacking, Espionage, etc)
- Features (submenu with links to interface, merchant, marketplace, etc.)
- Community (submenu with links to Alliance, Trade, Forums, Tools, Simulators, etc.)
Strategy (replaces glossary and browse by category)
- Quick Start Guide
- Beginner Concepts (submenu with links to Play Styles, Tips for Picking a Universe, Moonchance, etc.)
- Economy (submenu with links to Gaining Resources, Farm, etc)
- Combat (submenu with links to Phalanx, Blind Phalanx, Ninja, Safety Probe, Fleetcrash, etc.)
- Preventing Attack (submenu with links to Fleetsave, Defensive Build Strategy, Resource saving, Resource Hiding, etc.)
- All (link to the Strategy category or landing page)
Community (leave as is but add the following as well)
- Blog posts (like to category page?)
- Talk (this page)
- To do
- SysOp request (replace fine an Admin with this?)
Explore (leave as is but add the following as well)
- Browse by category
- Most Visited (submenu currently under Top Content)
What does everyone think? I believe this will also allow us to remove the contents/menu from the right sidebar as this would be a lot more complete. We could instead put in a poll or something else. Maybe a categories index like Fire Emblem wiki?
Looking forward to comments. I plan to try to adopt this wiki after a week or so (please comment on that as well) and if comments are positive or there are no comments, I will move forward. Tweaks/suggestions welcome.
One of the main challenges I think we have here is lack of quality navigation. We have so much good content, much more than a number of other wikis. But it is hard to find or not surfaced well with the current navigation.